Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Diary of a craft challenged mother to be...

My husband was out of town for the weekend so what do I decide to do with all of my spare time?  Go to the craft store, of course!  Now, most of you know that I am probably the least crafty person alive but I figured I would give it a shot.  I always have a lot of great ideas but actually implementing them is a huge challenge for me.  I had 2 projects over the weekend - 1 was successful and the other...well...not so much.

The first project was gluing rhinestones on the flowers that are going on the tree in the nursery.  I don't have a glue gun and, even though Matt was bringing back one of my mom's with him from his trip, impatience got the best of me and I decided that I could just use superglue.  Unfortunately, after letting the superglue dry overnight, I realized that the glue had eaten through all of the silver backing leaving the rhinestones milky and cloudy looking.  Not exactly the effect I was going for.  BUMMER!  Matt did get the glue gun and brought it back with him so I will be off to the craft store to get more flowers and attempt this project again.  Live and learn!

My second project turned out better than the first.  I picked up cut out wooden letters for her name and picked out some fun black, white and pink paint.  I figured I would paint them somehow but had no clue what I was really going to do.  On most occasions, this is where I would purchase the paint and letters and then have every intention of completing the project but they would inevitably get stashed in a cupboard somewhere and remain untouched.  BUT...I was determined to complete this project, even if it ended in disaster.  I patiently painted several coats of black and white paint on to the different letters and then I even patiently allowed them to dry before trying to paint the polka dots.  Personally, I think they look great - especially since I (craft challenged woman) created them.  Here is a pic:


My plan is to hang them up above her crib using pink satin ribbon.  I'll be sure to post a final look picture once they are up.

Hopefully my next attempt at the flowers will turn out ok and I will post that as well.

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment