Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, December 27, 2010

What are the chances?!?!

Here we are, Christmas morning...waking up excited for what the day will bring.  Matt and I start the day by heading to his Grandma and Grandpa's home for Christmas breakfast, as we do every year.  This year we were one of the first few to arrive.  We were greeted by Grandpa and then Grandma and then the Thomas family (Matt's aunt, uncle and cousins).  I was really excited to see them this year because Matt's cousin is also pregnant - about 8 weeks ahead of me. 

I don't know why but I had it set in my mind that she was having a little boy and I thought how fun it would be to have two little ones crawling around this time next year.  When we got there, we immediately started talking about our pregnancies because when you are pregnant that is pretty much all you think and talk about.  I found out I was wrong and she was having a little girl.  My next question was, "Do you have a name picked out?"  She said yes but that they were keeping it a secret but then she said she would tell me.  We hurried off to another room and she whispered her name to me.  My jaw must have dropped to the floor because wouldn't you know we have the same first name!!

Now, Matt and I have had 1 boy name and 1 girl name picked out for years.  If we had a boy, it would be Mason Matthew and if it is a girl, it would be Stella Grace.  Many of you even nicknamed the baby Stellson before we knew the sex as a combination of Stella and Mason.  We have never kept those names a secret and they have been pretty well known amongst our friends and close family.

Anyway...back to the story - so my jaw dropped as she said her name was Stella Jean.  WHAT?!?! I think my exact words were, "You have got to be kidding me" and I laughed out loud.  I mean really...what are the chances of two family members that only see each other at holidays being pregnant with little girls at the same time and both picking the name Stella! It isn't like its the most common name on the face of the planet!!!!

After we had picked our jaws up off of the ground, Jess (Matt's cousin) told me that she had a dream we had picked the same name.  She must be clairvoyant!  We wandered back into the kitchen and her mom said, "It isn't the same name, is it?" and we both just stood there with a stupid look on our face.  Then the hub bub began and pretty soon her mom, dad and sister all knew we had picked the same name. 

Her dad had offered her $1000 to give up the name the night before and she still kept it a secret so here is where I start to feel bad.  As I said, we have never kept the name a secret so her dad ran into the room where Matt was sitting and said, "Matt - what are you naming your kid?"  Matt replied, "Stella."  And there it was...secret was out.  POOR JESS!!!  As if it weren't bad enough that we had the same name, now we go and ruin her 1 secret that she had about the baby.  I genuinely felt horrible about that but Matt didn't know what he was doing and we had been telling the names since before we were pregnant so I'm not sure what else could have been done to avoid it.

I'm still in shock that we will have babies within 2 months of each other in the same family with the name Stella but, ya know what, I don't think it is a big deal...I just kept saying it will bond them for life and realistically we do only see each other on holidays so I don't think it is worth rethinking our name that we have had picked out for years.  I just hope that we didn't ruin it for Jess and Brent because I could tell they were bummed about it - just not sure if it was the release of their secret or the duplicate names - but what could I do?!

So...if you didn't know our name, you do now...Stella Grace :) Due May 11, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment