Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Won't Give Up

I'm sure you have all heard this song by Jason Mraz.  If you haven't, you should...GO...GO NOW and listen to it!  This is my new favorite song right now.  It has such a different message than everything else we are bombarded with on a daily basis.  We live in a world that is selfish and requires instant gratification.  We are all being taught that we should always be asking, "What's in it for me?" and that we don't actually have to work for anything, we have right to it and it should just be handed to us...whatever it is - money, love, success, etc.

This kind of world really scares me.  I don't want to live in a world where I only think about myself and where I don't earn the things that I receive.  Ok, ok...it would be nice to win the lottery but you know what I'm saying.  I want to live in a world where we all encourage growth in one another and constantly look out for the well being of each other.  I am doing a bible study with a friend right now and we were asked to think about whether we will impact the world or if we will let the world impact us.  Interesting to think about...

Anyway, this song's lyrics are just amazing.  They emphasize commitment and loyalty that is so often forgotten about.  I personally think of my marriage.  I've always told Matt that I am only doing this marriage thing once so I can be a happy married lady and we can work through our issues or I can be a grumpy married lady but I'll be married to him either way :)

We will be married for 6 years next month (together for almost 10) and I know to some of you that isn't a very long time but I'm so proud of us.  We haven't always had the easiest path with crazy work stuff, health stuff, money stuff and other issues but somehow we have managed to remain committed and loyal to one another through it all and, guess what, still in love!

Lately, I've been having a hard time with a few things in our relationship, choices that Matt has made that impact our summer and our family, but I am realizing that they are temporary and superficial issues and that deep down, we love each other way too much to let any of those silly things impact our relationship.  In fact, this song reminded me of that last night.  It was featured in the choreography round of So You Think You Can Dance and the moment it started playing Matt and I both said, "I love this song" in unison.  NO JOKE!  That is when this revelation hit me.  We both found a connection with it because of it's message and melody.  I guess it confirmed what I already knew deep down; that commitment was important to both of us and it just made me smile thinking about it.

I encourage you all to listen to the words of the song.  They are so unique and so uplifting.  Then, think about how you can serve and uplift others during your day.  We can impact our own lives by changing our perspective and let's hope that it will have a ripple affect with those we interact with.  Have an amazing day today!


1 comment:

  1. Love this song, too! Thanks for posting it-Just a great reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete